Summer research project PHYS4046
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: School of Physics and Astronomy
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 4 (SCQF level 10)
- Typically Offered: Summer
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
An undergraduate research-based project for visiting students.
Full time between mid-June and end of July (6 weeks).
Requirements of Entry
Normally a United States GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent).
Assessment is by the final report on the project (60%), by oral presentation (25%) and supervisor's assessment based on research notebook, research performance, attitude and participation (15%). The presentation and the deadline for the report will be in the final week of the project.
Main Assessment In: August
Are reassessment opportunities available for all summative assessments? No$reassessOppTxt
To provide an opportunity to undertake a research project and present the results both in the form of a research article and as an oral presentation.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Prepare a preliminary list of goals to be achieved during the project in collaboration with the project supervisor.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the literature related to the research project.
3. Demonstrate research skills appropriate to the area of specialisation.
4. Deliver a short talk, giving the background to the project and summarising its key outcomes.
5. Write a cogent, clear and concise written report summarising their findings and/or the state of research in their chosen field.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components of the course's summative assessment.
Full time attendance for the 6 weeks of the course.