Leadership & Management in Anaesthesia MED5553
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: School of Medicine Dentistry and Nursing
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Summer
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
- Taught Wholly by Distance Learning: Yes
This course will introduce students to the concepts of effective leadership and management in health care. Students will be encouraged to think critically about leadership and management strategies helping them to become clinical and academic leaders within their own departments.
A variety of teaching methods will be scheduled over 6 weeks including recorded lectures, online live tutorials, webinars, and online assignments.
Requirements of Entry
1. 1000 word approx. written assignment (70%)
2. Oral presentation (30%)
This course aims to equip students with the skills necessary to become effective clinical and academic leaders within their own departments. This will be achieved through acquiring detailed and critical knowledge of leadership and management theories and how these principles can be applied in clinical practice.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Critically discuss theories of leadership and management and their application in the context of anaesthesia
2. Critically analyse strategies and approaches to problem solving and decision making within the health and social care environment
3. Apply extensive knowledge of leadership and managerial skills to their own practice
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.