Fundamentals of Molecular Biology and Genetics for Histopathology MED5457
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: School of Medicine Dentistry and Nursing
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 1
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
This course is designed to facilitate the acquisition of essential and fundamental knowledge in molecular biology and genetics by pathologists, pathology trainees who are undertaking histopathology training under the Royal College of Pathologists Curriculum for Specialty Training in Histopathology, and those who are in the relevant health professions.
Online delivery of core taught materials (lectures, videos/quizzes etc) supported by weekly tutorials.
Requirements of Entry
Critical Review Essay (approx. 2000 words) (50%):
Oral Presentation ca. 15mins with a further 10mins for questions (50%):
The course aims to provide students with the essential understanding of basic concepts, terminologies and principles in molecular biology and genetics that are relevant to current and future diagnosis in molecular pathology.
The course also aims to develop the students' proficiency in the core skill areas, including demonstration of the importance of molecular knowledge and skills in modern pathology diagnosis, recognition and explanation of how studies of molecular biology and genetics contributed to molecular pathology clinical diagnosis and research.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Provide a critical overview of the origins and consequences of molecular alterations at the gene, protein and cell levels.
2. Critically discuss the biological processes of gene regulation, including translation, transcription, factors affecting gene expression and inheritance patterns.
3. Critically discuss the underlying principles of molecular biology and genetics applied in current and future pathology diagnostic tests.
4. Communicate effectively with clinicians and scientists regarding the fundamental molecular knowledge relevant in molecular pathology diagnosis.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.