Please note: there may be some adjustments to the teaching arrangements published in the course catalogue for 2020-21. Given current circumstances related to the Covid-19 pandemic it is anticipated that some usual arrangements for teaching on campus will be modified to ensure the safety and wellbeing of students and staff on campus; further adjustments may also be necessary, or beneficial, during the course of the academic year as national requirements relating to management of the pandemic are revised.

Fundamental Skills in Medicine MED1017

  • Academic Session: 2021-22
  • School: School of Medicine Dentistry and Nursing
  • Credits: 40
  • Level: Level 1 (SCQF level 7)
  • Typically Offered: Runs Throughout Semesters 1 and 2
  • Available to Visiting Students: No
  • Available to Erasmus Students: No

Short Description

This course will enhance and develop digital literacy and academic study skills, as well as providing experience of vocational and professional studies in different working environments which will provide relevance and context for future clinical and scientific studies in MB ChB or other life science programmes. There is a strong focus on communication and team work skills throughout the course focusing on the development of transferable interpersonal skills. The course also provides a fundamental introductory training in human anatomy for students who will enrol in MBChB upon completion of the Glasgow Access Programme.

Timetable

Lectures, tutorials, seminars and workshops will occur on weekly basis. The number and frequency will vary from week to week. Details will be provided in advance.

Requirements of Entry

Excluded Courses

None

Assessment

Written exam - anatomy MCQ (total 10%)

Reflective essay on clinical experiences (1000 words; total 15%)

Academic writing report (2000 words (15%), and oral presentation (10%)  (total 25%).

ePortfolio reflective writing on team-based learning team work and academic skills development (weekly reports - final reflective report 1000 word (total 10%)

PSA - 2 x Anatomy Class Tests (total 10%)

Set Exercises - Team based learning which includes individual online assignments (10%), team online assessment (5%) clinical application of biomedical and anatomical knowledge (10%) peer-led MCQ exercise (5%)- (total 30%)

Main Assessment In: April/May

Course Aims

The general aims of this course are to:

■ Provide students with a basic introduction to the study of medicine

■ Provide a grounding in the policies and provision of healthcare in the UK.

■ Provide an introduction to vocational and professional studies.

■ Development of digital literacy and academic skills required for higher education.

■ Provide opportunities for students to develop their transferable, intellectual, interpersonal and practical skills.

■ Introduce and demonstrate the principles required to understand gross anatomy (medical and anatomical terminology, identification of anatomical structures, introduction to medical images).

■ Demonstrate clinical applications of biomedical and anatomical knowledge.

Intended Learning Outcomes of Course

By the end of this course students will be able to:

Discuss, identify and demonstrate professional behaviours required for appropriate performance in healthcare settings.

Identify and develop attributes required for effective team-working and successfully complete a group task.

Produce an academic report on a public health topic.

Deliver a satisfactory oral presentation.

Produce a written clinical reflective account.

Describe and identify structures using appropriate anatomical and medical terminology on medical images, and dissected specimens.

Demonstrate applications of biomedical and anatomical knowledge to clinical situations.

Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits

Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.