International Issues in Adult Education (distance) EDUC51026
- Academic Session: 2019-20
- School: School of Education
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
- Taught Wholly by Distance Learning: Yes
This course identifies the major influences upon the historical traditions of adult and community education in Scotland, the U.K. and internationally. Building upon this historical background, current developments in adult education will be located within the context of contemporary social and economic trends.
Taught entirely online over 10 weeks.
Requirements of Entry
This course is summatively assessed by two written assignments; the first is a 1,000 word assignment and the second is a 3,000 word assignment. Collectively these assignments are equivalent to 4 - 4,500 words in which participants demonstrate their knowledge, understanding, skills and application of the course.
The aims of this course are to provide students with an opportunity to study the key features of adult and continuing education in Scotland, the UK and internationally and to develop familiarity with historical developments influencing the development of adult and continuing education.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
• Critically appraise some of the key historical, economic, social and demographic trends shaping the current development of the education and training of adults.
• Critically analyse current trends and developments across the range and diversity of adult education provision in Scotland, the UK and internationally.
• Critically discuss the historical, educational and policy perspectives on adult and continuing education.
•Produce a well-structured argument concerning key aspects of adult and continuing education.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.