Practice Placement EDUC3017
- Academic Session: 2019-20
- School: School of Education
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 3 (SCQF level 9)
- Typically Offered: Runs Throughout Semesters 1 and 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
An opportunity for students to examine the involvement of parents and communities in another setting in order to improve practice within their own setting.
Half day input plus half day presentations. Students will attend the equivalence of 5 days at students own convenience in another setting. Students make arrangements for their practice placement.
Requirements of Entry
This course will be assessed in two parts.
1. Students will present a mind map to their colleagues in their own establishment which will contain their analysis and critical evaluation of the contribution of parents and carers, families and communities to the placement setting. Students will then submit the mind map and a 1000 word reflective account which details their key learning and analysis from this experience as part of their placement (in a setting different to the one in which they normally work). (1000 words +/- 10%) 40%
2. Students will submit an assignment which should be an evaluative and reflective account of the learning that has taken place in a setting different to the one in which they normally work. (1500 words +/- 10%) 60%
This course aims to:
provide opportunities for students to develop the knowledge, skills and values of the overall programme in a practical setting
encourage critical reflection on practice, leading to improved practice
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
analyse and critically evaluate the contribution of parents and carers, families and communities to the placement setting
identify the professional attributes, roles and responsibilities of the staff within the placement setting
share and discuss the principles and perspectives that underpin their own professional practice
use reflection on practice to act on and improve their own practice
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
At least 66% attendance.
Submission of summative assessment task.