Introductory Statistics for Economists ECON1013
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: Adam Smith Business School
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 1 (SCQF level 7)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
- Available to Erasmus Students: Yes
The course introduces students to the fundamental concepts of statistics, provides a basic understanding of sampling and statistical inference, and covers topics leading up to regression analysis.
Interactive Lectures: Two 1-hour lectures x 7 weeks
Tutorials: One 1-hour tutorials x 4 weeks
Computer Labs: One 1- hour lab x 3 weeks
Please refer to MyCampus for details.
Requirements of Entry
Stats 1002 and 1003
SPS 1001 and 2001
Geography 1 and Geography 2
Psychology 1 and Psychology 2
Q-step 1 and Q-step 2
Main Assessment In: April/May
The course aims to:
■ Provide an introduction to the fundamental concepts in statistics.
■ Develop the ability to compute various statistics and provide appropriate interpretation.
■ Develop the skills to use basic tools of economic data analysis effectively.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Explain the fundamental concepts of statistics.
2. Apply statistical concepts and methods to economic issues.
3. Use software to conduct basic statistical analysis.
4. Effectively present and explain the results of statistical analysis.
5. Effectively collaborate with team members
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.