Crichton Work Placement 3 DUMF3004
- Academic Session: 2019-20
- School: School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Credits: 60
- Level: Level 3 (SCQF level 9)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
The Level 3 Placement offers a learning experience where students are placed in a workplace setting where they complete a specific and practical task for that organisation. The course is designed to consolidate critical analytical skills and to develop reflective learning and communication skills. A key element of the course is the integration of placement-based learning and classroom-based disciplinary and inter-disciplinary perspectives.
Placement; 8 weeks, Writing up; 4 weeks, plus a number of workshops
Requirements of Entry
Completion of 300 credits.
The Level 3 Dissertation
Initial project report research into the organisation and formulation of learning objectives, c1,500 words (15%)
Attendance and contribution at seminars and workshops (10%)
Reflective journal; between 1,500 and 2,000 words per week (30%)
Final dissertation; c5,000 words (45%)
Main Assessment In: April/May
1) To integrate into a work environment or, in the case of students already in employment, to assume a different role in a familiar environment. 2) To experience workplace structures, demands and rhythms. 3) To complete a negotiated project relevant to the needs of the work setting and the degree designation. 4) To complete the project to the satisfaction of the work based supervisor. 5) To integrate the experiential learning of the placement with more traditional campus-based learning. 6) To communicate valuable elements of this experience to others.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of the Level 3 Work Placement students should be able to:- 1) Negotiate and manage a project. 2) Relate the specific work experience to the wider social economic and political context. 3) Utilise a learning log to reflect on the nature of the work experience. 4) Relate elements of the work experience to themes and issues of academic study relevant to the designated degree. 5) Write a report in a format appropriate to the nature of the project.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
1) Completion of initial report and research into the organisation. 2) Attempt completion of the reflective journal and dissertation. 3) Student must satisfy the requirements of the host organisation. 4) Achieve an overall mark of G2.