Orofacial Infections DENT5083
- Academic Session: 2019-20
- School: School of Medicine Dentistry and Nursing
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Full Year
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
This course provides a knowledge base in the etiology and spread or orofacial infections.
The timetable will include seminars, tutorials and clinical teaching.
Requirements of Entry
2000 word essay 50%
Oral clinical assessment 50%
Acquisition and integration of knowledge with regard to the etiology and mechanism of spread of oral infection; methods of treating oral infection; the importance of diagnostic aids in oral infection; management of the complications of oral infection.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
On completion of the course the student will be able to demonstrate critical knowledge of the:
1. Etiology and pathogenesis of oral infections.
2. Therapeutic and surgical management of orofacial infection.
3. Complications that can occur secondary to orofacial infections.
4. Microbiology of orofacial infections.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.