Local Anaesthesia, General Anaesthesia and Sedation DENT5074
- Academic Session: 2019-20
- School: School of Medicine Dentistry and Nursing
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Full Year
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
Acquisition and integration of a knowledge base in local anaesthesia, general anaesthesia and sedation.
The timetable will include seminars, tutorials and clinical teaching.
Requirements of Entry
One hour written examination: short answer questions 50%
Oral clinical assessment 50%
Acquisition and integration of a knowledge base in local anaesthesia, general anaesthesia and sedation including the management of the unconscious patient and of emergencies that may arise in the dental surgery.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
On completion of this course the student will be able to display critical knowledge of the:
1. Methods of pain and anxiety control in oral surgery patients.
1. Basic principles of conscious sedation and general anaesthesia.
2. Recognition and management of emergencies in the dental chair.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.