Industrial Catalysis Project 2 CHEM5073
- Academic Session: 2019-20
- School: School of Chemistry
- Credits: 60
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
The project will offer the opportunity to work with another two of the course tutors on an original research topic that will be tailored to your interests. You will undertake a literature review of the area and perform practical research. At the end you will write a dissertation.
19 weeks starting from week 25
Requirements of Entry
Admission to MRes programme in Industrial Heterogeneous Catalysis
Dissertation (60%), Oral assessment (20%), lab skills (20%)
The aim of this project is to give the student experience of a leading edge research project in an area different from Project 1. Searching the literature, undertaking experiments and analysing the results before writing them up in a scientific style.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Assess relevant academic and patent literature relating to the project area.
2. Formulate an experimental plan based upon the outputs from the literature review.
3. Assess the limitations of test equipment prior to experimental programme.
4. Critically analyse data that is generated during the project.
5. Write a scientific report based upon experimental results.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.