Summer research project (Chemistry) CHEM4040
- Academic Session: 2019-20
- School: School of Chemistry
- Credits: 24
- Level: Level 4 (SCQF level 10)
- Typically Offered: Summer
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
An undergraduate research-based project for visiting students.
Full time between mid-June and end of July (6 weeks).
Requirements of Entry
Normally a United States GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent).
Assessment has 4 components: a literature review ("Report" 15%) which is undertaken in advance of starting the 6-week project; the supervisor's assessment based on research notebook, research performance, attitude and participation (20%); an oral presentation (10%) which takes place during the last week; and a dissertation (55%) which is submitted on the last day of the 6-week project.
Main Assessment In: August
Are reassessment opportunities available for all summative assessments? No$reassessOppTxt
To provide an opportunity to undertake a research project and present the results both in the form of a research article and as an oral presentation.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Prepare a preliminary list of goals to be achieved during the project in collaboration with the project supervisor.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the literature related to the research project.
3. Demonstrate research skills appropriate to the area of specialisation.
4. Deliver a short talk, giving the background to the project and summarising its key outcomes.
5. Write a cogent, clear and concise written report summarising their findings and/or the state of research in their chosen field.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components of the course's summative assessment.
Full time attendance for the 6 weeks of the course.