Cancer Research Distinguished Seminar Series BIOL5338
- Academic Session: 2019-20
- School: Cancer Sciences
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 1
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
The course will enable the student to gain in depth knowledge from world experts in the cancer research field by attending seminars held at the Beatson CR-UK and Wolfson Wohl Cancer Research Centres. It will include writing a brief summary of each seminar attended and an essay on a topic of choice to reinforce the knowledge gained from the seminar series.
Students will attend the seminars throughout semester 1.
Requirements of Entry
1. Compile a structured essay 1,500 words approximately (75% weighting)
2. Reflective diary (25% weighting)
The course aims to provide students with an in-depth knowledge and understanding of cancer research from world experts in the field. It will provide students with the opportunity to further investigate an area of cancer research providing training in critical evaluation of the literature and writing skills.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Assemble in-depth knowledge on 10 areas of cancer research;
2. Critically evaluate and summarise the knowledge acquired from the seminar series, through a reflective diary.
3. Demonstrate key skills in evaluating the literature and scientific writing by effectively writing an essay on 1 of the topics covered in the seminar series.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.