Please note: there may be some adjustments to the teaching arrangements published in the course catalogue for 2020-21. Given current circumstances related to the Covid-19 pandemic it is anticipated that some usual arrangements for teaching on campus will be modified to ensure the safety and wellbeing of students and staff on campus; further adjustments may also be necessary, or beneficial, during the course of the academic year as national requirements relating to management of the pandemic are revised.

Life Sciences Internship Honours Project BIOL4249P

  • Academic Session: 2020-21
  • School: School of Life Sciences
  • Credits: 40
  • Level: Level 4 (SCQF level 10)
  • Typically Offered: Runs Throughout Semesters 1 and 2
  • Available to Visiting Students: Yes
  • Available to Erasmus Students: Yes

Short Description

This course will be taken by final-year BSc Honours students undertaking an internship with an employer, commercial or community organisation, or within the University, in order to generate data or facilitate knowledge transfer. The nature of the placement may be linked to the degree programme or draw on generic skills and more general graduate attributes.

Individual projects may require travel outwith Glasgow.


As arranged individually.

Requirements of Entry

Normally, this course is only available to final-year students in a School of Life Sciences BSc Honours programme. Visiting students may be allowed to enrol, at the discretion of the School of Life Sciences Chief Adviser.

Excluded Courses

BIOL4246P Life Sciences Investigative Honours Project

BIOL4247P Life Sciences Dissertation Honours Project

BIOL4248P Life Sciences Outreach Honours Project

BIOL5287P Life Sciences Investigative MSci Project

BIOL5288P Life Sciences Dissertation MSci Project

BIOL5289PLife Sciences Outreach MSci Project


Project dissertation (30%), supervisor's assessment of overall performance (10%), practical skills assessment (40%) and project presentation (20%).

Are reassessment opportunities available for all summative assessments? Not applicable for Honours courses

Reassessments are normally available for all courses, except those which contribute to the Honours classification. For non Honours courses, students are offered reassessment in all or any of the components of assessment if the satisfactory (threshold) grade for the overall course is not achieved at the first attempt. This is normally grade D3 for undergraduate students and grade C3 for postgraduate students. Exceptionally it may not be possible to offer reassessment of some coursework items, in which case the mark achieved at the first attempt will be counted towards the final course grade. Any such exceptions for this course are described below. 

Course Aims

The aims of the course are to provide opportunities to develop skills in the experimental study and structured observation of biology, relevant laboratory competence, statistical analysis and the use of information technology, literature survey and scientific writing. 

Intended Learning Outcomes of Course

By the end of this course, students will be able to:

■ evaluate and summarise prior research;

■ evaluate, analyse and interpret scientific data;

■ write a cogent report within the set parameters;

■ give a clear, well-constructed oral presentation describing their research to their peers;

■ defend the validity, reliability and reproducibility of the techniques used during the internship in a practical skills assessment;

■ work co-operatively with colleagues to develop interpersonal and teamwork skills.

Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits

Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.