Foundations of Financial Technology ACCFIN5234
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: Adam Smith Business School
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 1
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
The course will introduce the students to the main principles of FinTech and link them with financial applications.
Course is delivered over 2 weeks, comprising of 20 hours of lectures and 2 hours of tutorials.
Requirements of Entry
Registration on the MSc Financial Technology programme
ILO being assessed
The overall aim of the course is to introduce the principles of FinTech and inform the students about its contemporary issues in the modern financial world. The course will explore the evolution of FinTech through time, blockchains and cryptocurrencies, while many relevant case studies will be discussed in order to examine how financial institutions can create strategic benefits through FinTech. Through this course, students will develop critical skills in assessing the relevance and future of FinTech in real world cases and applications.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Appraise and analyse the main concepts of FinTech.
2. Evaluate the fundamental mechanism underlying blockchain and cryptocurrencies and interpret their applications to real-world financial tasks.
3. Assess how financial institutions apply FinTech and critically analyse the success of their proposed solutions in the current financial environment.
4. Distinguish the strategic benefits that FinTech for financial institutions and individuals.
5. Formulate an informed opinion on the future and challenges of FinTech.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 100% by weight of the components of the course's summative assessment.