Mergers and Acquisitions ACCFIN5058
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: Adam Smith Business School
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
To develop students' understanding of key theoretical aspects of business mergers and acquisitions.
10 x 2 hour lectures & 4 x 1 hour tutorials
Requirements of Entry
First-semester course in International Corporate Finance. Please refer to the current postgraduate prospectus at: http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/
Individual Assignment (100%) - based on real case of an acquisition deal and questions assessing all ILOs and various aspects of the teaching material (4000 words +/- 10%).
Main Assessment In: April/May
■ Develop students' understanding of key aspects of Mergers and Acquisiitons (M&As) at an advanced level.
■ Assist students to acquire the ability to critically understand both recent and past empirical research in this field.
■ Equip students with the necessary tools to potentially undertake dissertations and/or future research in this area.
■ Allow for students to build key interpersonal skills transferable into future careers.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
1. Explain in a critical fashion the principles and practices of mergers and acquisitions;
2. Evaluate target firms and estimate the potential gains from takeovers;
3. Apply at an advanced level the various empirical methodologies on M&As;
4. Assess and contrast in the various theories in the M&As literature;
5. Organize work independently in the M&As context and appraise M&As outcomes.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.