Introduction to Finance, Investments and Institutions ACCFIN1016
- Academic Session: 2023-24
- School: Adam Smith Business School
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 1 (SCQF level 7)
- Typically Offered: Semester 1
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
This is an introductory course that assumes no prior knowledge of finance or accounting. This course is specifically designed to familiarise students with essentials of financial management and investment and introduce them to how financial markets work.
Lectures: 10 x 2 hours of Lectures
Tutorials: 7 x 1 hour Tutorial
Tutorials can be selected on MyCampus
Requirements of Entry
Finance 1: ACCFIN1003
Foundations of Finance: ACCFIN1018
1, 2, 4
3, 4, 5
Main Assessment In: December
This course aims to provide an introduction to the basic concepts and terminologies in financial management and investments and to provide a deeper understanding on how financial markets work. It aims to cover theory and principles which are essential to taking better and informed financial and investment decisions within the dynamic business environment.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
On the successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
1) Explain both theoretical and practical roles of financial management in any business corporation.
2) Assess firms' financial health using various quantitative and qualitative techniques and analysis.
3) Recognise the importance of the timing of cash flows in decision-making.
4) Critically analyse various investment appraisal techniques available to financial managers for making better investment decisions.
5) Explain how various financial markets work and what are the different types of financial market instruments available to financial managers.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.