Software Engineering Summer Placement (H) COMPSCI4046
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: School of Computing Science
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 4 (SCQF level 10)
- Typically Offered: Summer
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
During the long vacation between third and fourth year, Software Engineering students will normally be required to undertake a summer placement of at least 10 weeks to gain relevant practical experience.
Summer prior to Level 4.
Assessment visit during placement 30%
Poster describing placement and reflection on tools and practices employed 40%
Main Assessment In: April/May
Are reassessment opportunities available for all summative assessments? Not applicable
Reassessments are normally available for all courses, except those which contribute to the Honours classification. For non Honours courses, students are offered reassessment in all or any of the components of assessment if the satisfactory (threshold) grade for the overall course is not achieved at the first attempt. This is normally grade D3 for undergraduate students and grade C3 for postgraduate students. Exceptionally it may not be possible to offer reassessment of some coursework items, in which case the mark achieved at the first attempt will be counted towards the final course grade. Any such exceptions for this course are described below.
Assessment takes place during and immediately after the placement, so it is not possible to re-assess without redoing the placement.
To give students the experience of a real software development environment.
To embed the software engineering theory, principles and tools studied during the previous three years through practical experience.
To develop a student's ability to evaluate and enhance their personal software process.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe applicability of practices, methods and tool taught in software engineering and other academic computing science courses to real world software development efforts;
2. Present a summary of their contribution during their placement;
3. Discuss and reflect on their experiences during their placement.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.