Biochemistry 3B BIOL4010
- Academic Session: 2023-24
- School: School of Molecular Biosciences
- Credits: 60
- Level: Level 4 (SCQF level 10)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
In Biochemistry, you will learn to apply the principles of the biological and chemical sciences to advance understanding of the molecular basis of life. Biochemistry 3A and 3B build on the Level 2 Life Sciences courses, developing an in-depth understanding of gene expression, protein science, cellular organisation, signalling and metabolism underpinned by a programme of laboratory practicals.
Lectures, laboratory work, tutorials, seminars etc as organised.
The course will be assessed by means of a 2-hour data analysis examination paper (20%) and a 2-hour essay examination paper (30%) in the April / May diet and in-course assessment (in total 50%) comprising four lab reports (40%) and a written assignment (10%).
Main Assessment In: April/May
Are reassessment opportunities available for all summative assessments? Not applicable for Honours courses
Reassessments are normally available for all courses, except those which contribute to the final Honours classification. For non-Honours courses, students are offered reassessment in all or any of the components of assessment if the satisfactory (threshold) grade for the overall course is not achieved at the first attempt. This is normally grade D3 for undergraduate students and grade C3 for postgraduate students. Exceptionally it may not be possible to offer reassessment of some coursework items, in which case the mark achieved at the first attempt will be counted towards the final course grade. Any such exceptions for this course are described below.
The aim of this course is to provide students with the opportunity to develop skills in practical laboratory techniques, problem solving, critical analysis, interpretation and discussion of factual information and data relevant to modern Biochemistry and improve written and oral communication skills.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
■ Demonstrate a sound and broad understanding of modern biochemistry;
■ Critically evaluate and interpret biochemical data of a numerical, logical or problem solving nature;
■ Apply practical skills in fundamental biochemical techniques and analyse, interpret and communicate results obtained from using these techniques;
■ Communicate ideas effectively in a variety of formats;
■ Critically appraise original scientific literature;
■ Examine and analyse bioinformatics and protein structural information using in silico methods.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.