Postgraduate taught 

Psychological Studies (conversion) MSc

Educational Psychology (PGT Conv) EDUC5840

  • Academic Session: 2022-23
  • School: School of Education
  • Credits: 10
  • Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
  • Typically Offered: Semester 2
  • Available to Visiting Students: Yes
  • Available to Erasmus Students: Yes

Short Description

This course investigates how psychological theories inform general teaching, learning and assessment, including the experiences of pupils who may have learning and behavioural difficulties. The course also aims to understand Educational Psychologists' current practice.


Lectures - 1 hour session for eleven weeks plus three one hour seminars

Excluded Courses




Students will be given potential topics/questions for developing an essay. The 1,500 word essay (70%) will focus on the psychological theories applicable in the teaching and learning context. Poster presentation will comprise the other 30% of the assessment.




In accordance with the University's Code of Assessment reassessments are normally set for all courses which do not contribute to the honours classifications. For non honours courses, students are offered reassessment in all or any of the components of assessment if the satisfactory (threshold) grade for the overall course is not achieved at the first attempt. This is normally grade D3 for undergraduate students, and grade C3 for postgraduate students. Exceptionally it may not be possible to offer reassessment of some coursework items, in which case the mark achieved at the first attempt will be counted towards the final course grade. Any such exceptions are listed below in this box.

Main Assessment In: April/May

Course Aims

The aims of this course are to:

• Promote a critical understanding of current theory and practice within Educational Psychology.

• Examine the core functions of a psychologist working in the educational context with particular emphasis on assessment, intervention and consultation.

• Promote a critical understanding of psychological theories that underpin Educational Psychologists' practice.

• Develop an understanding of research methods used in educational psychology and evaluate these critically.

Intended Learning Outcomes of Course

By the end of this course students will be able to:

• Evaluate the classroom process, including teacher effectiveness, school and organisational factors.

• Critically evaluate psychological models and methods of assessment in education.

• Demonstrate a critical understanding of psychological interventions with pupils with additional support needs, including learning and behavioural difficulties.

• Demonstrate a critical understanding of the psychological theories involved in different learning contexts, e.g. behaviourism, social learning theory, and be able to relate these theories to practice.

• Understand how to 'measure' and empirically research issues within educational psychology using appropriate research methods.

Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits

Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.