Dissertation (PGT Conv) EDUC5839
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: School of Education
- Credits: 60
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Full Year
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
This course is designed to give students the experience of performing a research
project under close supervision of academic staff in psychological laboratories (or other settings where data collection takes place) and writing up the results appropriately.
This course will run throughout the year and will include individual supervision with an allocated member of academic staff and three one hour taught general support sessions.
The Dissertation Length should be 10 000 - 12 000 words.
NB: The following parts are not included in the word limit: title page, originality statement, table of contents, references, and appendices.
The aims of this course are to:
To provide students with an appreciation of the issues associated with research design and an understanding of different methodologies (quantitative or qualitative). To provide students with the opportunity for practical experience to complement the theoretical understanding they will attain in their core and option modules.
To provide students with the opportunity to write up results at a quality expected of that of those appearing in peer reviewed publications.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of issues related to research design, research methodologies (and statistics for quantitative projects).
- Apply appropriate methodologies relevant to psychological research.
- Apply theoretical understanding into practice
- Plan and execute a significant project of research, investigation or development.
- Demonstrate originality or creativity in the application of knowledge, understanding and practices.
- Identify, conceptualise and define new and abstract problems and issues.
- Assess the ethical and professional issues associated with conducting psychological research.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits