Oral Pathology DENT5082
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: School of Medicine Dentistry and Nursing
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Full Year
- Available to Visiting Students: No
The study of oral pathology and the relationship between oral and systemic disease.
The timetable will include seminars, tutorials and clinical teaching.
2000 word essay 50%
Oral clinical assessment 50%
1. Acquisition and integration of a knowledge base of the etiology, clinical presentation and pathogenesis of common pathological conditions affecting the skeletal, dental and soft tissues of the oral cavity.
2. Acquisition and integration of a knowledge base concerning the relationship between oral and systemic disease.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
On completion of the course the student will be able to demonstrate critical knowledge:
1. And understanding of basic oral pathology and diagnostic aids.
1. Of the relationship between histopathological appearance and clinical manifestation of orofacial pathological conditions.
2. Of the oral manifestations of systemic disease.
3. And understanding of the importance of diagnostic aids, including blood tests, in the diagnosis of oral pathological conditions.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.