Integrated Engineering Design ENG5043
- Academic Session: 2023-24
- School: School of Engineering
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
Techniques and strategies of reverse engineering (3D scanning, CAD, rapid prototyping, CAM) will be used to progress the design ideas and where possible result in a manufactured component or sub-assembly.
Two hours per week
Main Assessment In: April/May
To develop the students' understanding of design and manufacture optimisation strategies applied to reliability analysis, robust design, component design and assembly. This understanding will be applied concurrently in support of the integrated engineering design project.
The project aims to develop student ability to integrate creative and engineering design methods, knowledge and skill, including CAD, within an open-ended individual design project. Techniques and strategies of reverse engineering (3D scanning, CAD, rapid prototyping, CAM) will be used to progress the design ideas and where possible result in a manufactured component or sub-assembly. Elements of the lecture section will support and be applied within this individual project.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of the lecture section of the course the student should be able to:
1. use methods permitting both evaluation of process variability and conformance
2. apply techniques associated with reliability assessment of engineering products and systems, and integrate them with manufacturing considerations
3. use techniques of Robust Design, as defined by Taguchi
4. understand techniques of highly accelerated life testing (HALT) and stress screening (HASS)
By the end of the project students will be able to:
1. demonstrate an ability to apply their acquired engineering design skills and knowledge in an integrated manner via the design of an engineering project
2. demonstrate a capacity for employing reverse engineering strategies and technologies
3. demonstrate an acquired ability to use CAD and visualisation tools for design representation.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Satisfactory attendance at lectures and submission of coursework as required.