Postgraduate taught 

Management with Human Resources MSc

Contemporary Issues in Human Resource Management: Theory and Practice MGT5270

  • Academic Session: 2021-22
  • School: Adam Smith Business School
  • Credits: 20
  • Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
  • Typically Offered: Semester 2
  • Available to Visiting Students: No
  • Available to Erasmus Students: No

Short Description

This course aims to provide participants with a detailed understanding of contemporary issues that human resource managers face in contemporary business.

Timetable

18 hours of lectures in semester 2

Excluded Courses

None

Assessment

The assessment will consist of two pieces of work: one being a 2500 - 3000 word essay (60%) and the other a 1500 - 2000 word report (40%)

Main Assessment In: April/May

Course Aims

This course aims to provide participants with a detailed understanding of issues that human resource managers face in contemporary business, for example talent management, strategic human resource management and leadership development.

Intended Learning Outcomes of Course

By the end of this course students will be able to:

 

1. Identify and explain contemporary challenges in human resource management.

2. Critically appraise the importance of contextual issue when considering the challenges faced by HR managers.

3. Critically examine appropriate literature on key topics.

4. Critically review the HR systems and tools available to address key challenges.

Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits

Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.