Advanced Healthcare Practice NURSING5049
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: School of Medicine Dentistry and Nursing
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Runs Throughout Semesters 1 and 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
This course facilitates integration of theory and practice promoting professional and personal development of students, in preparation for their role as advanced practitioners.
The course is delivered by blended learning (face to face teaching plus regular online learning activities using moodle).
Students will submit a portfolio of evidence, (normally 5,000-10,000 words) demonstrating advanced practice and a final reflection as an integrated assessment.
In addition, students can only pass this course if they have been assessed as fit to practice by their practice placement assessor.
1. To develop critical reflective and analytical skills, and the ability to integrate theory and practice.
2. To facilitate students to identify their own learning needs, taking responsibility for implementation of appropriate strategies, and evaluation of outcomes
3. To enable student to support change and advancement of practice in their professional role and to develop and prepare them for leadership and policy roles.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of the course, students will be able to demonstrate the following outcomes
1. Autonomous health care practice and values-based care.
2. Critical evaluation of approaches to service delivery in professional health care practice.
3. Participation in evidence based clinical decision making within a multidisciplinary team.
4. Reflection as an integral part of advanced professional practice.
5. Skills and strategies to lead the advancement of healthcare practice.
6. Critical analysis of service issues in professional practice to improve practice by determining and implementing appropriate solutions.
7. Delivery of educational initiatives for staff professional development and for service users with critical appraisal of learning outcomes
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must achieve a grade of D3 or above in the written assignment and be assessed as fit to practice by their practice placement assessor. Students not assessed as fit to practice will have credit withheld.
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.