PGDE with Teaching Qualification: School Experience DUMF5110
- Academic Session: 2023-24
- School: School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Credits: 30
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Runs Throughout Semesters 1 and 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
The school experience placements provide opportunities for students to develop the knowledge, skills and values of the overall programme in a professional setting.
The pattern of school experience is designed to meet the requirements of the 2019 Guidelines for Initial Teacher Education Courses in Scotland which require that at least 18 weeks of the programme must be devoted to School Experience and that the final block should be at least 4 weeks.
School Experience placements will be assessed through a combination of
1. Weekly progress report (e-portfolio)
2. Lesson evaluations (e-portfolio)
3. Weekly reflections (e-portfolio)
4. Final school report
The school experience placement aims to:
1 Develop informed, accountable, reflective and enquiring teachers for children aged 3-18 in accordance with the GTCS Standards for Provisional Registration.
2 Develop beginning teachers who are able to contribute to changing educational contexts through proactive development of professional knowledge and understanding, values and personal commitment.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1) Apply knowledge and understanding of relevant areas of the school curriculum to plan, prepare and teach coherent and progressive learning experiences offering young people opportunities to enrich their learning and contribute to their personal development.
2) Apply pedagogical and theoretical understandings of cognitive, social and emotional development of children and the contexts in which they learn.
3) Justify approaches to the assessment, recording and reporting of children's learning to ensure equitable education outcomes and high levels of attainment.
4) Reflect critically on their professional practice to inform their next steps and professional career-long learning to positively impact on educational outcomes.
5) Exhibit the values, conduct, professional knowledge, skills and abilities required by the benchmark standards for entry into the teaching profession.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
The GTCS requires a minimum attendance of 90% for school placements.