Professional Enquiry DUMF5109
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Credits: 30
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
This course introduces students to methods of professional enquiry to evaluate classroom practice and pupil learning.
2-hour lecture per week for 8 weeks
1-hour seminar per week for 8 weeks
Research proposal 3000 words (50% weighting) - ILOs 1 & 2
Individual Presentation (50% weighting) - a presentation of research findings, limitations, considerations for future research and how the findings can be used to inform future classroom practice (ILO 3)
The aim of this course is to equip students with the knowledge, understanding and skills to undertake an investigation in their professional context and to share their findings to enhance their own and others' practice.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Theorise research questions and propose a research methodology to enable the collection and analysis of data to enhance practice.
2. Create new knowledge in their professional contexts through education research and professional enquiry.
3. Critically reflect on research findings, comment on the enquiry process and suggest improvements.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.