Assessment of Vascular Function BIOL5343
- Academic Session: 2023-24
- School: School of Cardiovascular and Metabolic
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
This applies the theory of vascular function into experimental protocols that are used to dissect mechanisms of vascular physiological function and abnormalities during disease states, such as hypertension. During the course, students will learn the basics of vascular function and structure, and through the use of myography experiments, apply such theories and be able to design protocols to dissect vascular dysfunction in disease states.
This course will be made up of lectures, workshops and lab work.
Poster presentation based on lab practical results with discussion (100%)
The aim of this course is to encourage the acquisition of theoretical and practical skills relating to vascular biology.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Describe and evaluate regulatory mechanisms relating to vascular structure and function.
2. Analyse and critically evaluate experimental data from myography studies.
3. Design protocols to assess vascular function in both research and clinical settings.
4. Compare and contrast vascular structure and function in disease.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.