Polymers and Organic Materials 4M CHEM5057
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: School of Chemistry
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Runs Throughout Semesters 1 and 2
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
- Available to Erasmus Students: Yes
This course will introduce the fundamental principles, applications and uses of polymers and related organic materials.
18 hours of lectures and 2 hours of tutorials to be arranged
90 minute written examination
Main Assessment In: April/May
This course will provide understanding and insight into polymers and organic materials, and their impact on society and the environment.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Understand the design, synthesis, and processing of organic-based materials.
2. Explain the principles and theory underlying the important polymerisation methods.
3. Understand the effects of polymerisation conditions on polymerisation kinetics and the properties of the polymers produced.
4. Show awareness of the impact of organic materials in society and environment.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.