Contextualising your Educational Enquiry EDUC5990
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: Learning Enhancement and Acad Dev Service
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 1
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
- Taught Wholly by Distance Learning: Yes
In order to undertake a piece of scholarship or educational research, you need to be able to engage with, and critically evaluate the current literature. This course will provide an opportunity for you to do just that, in an area of your choosing, related to your Higher Education context.
10 contact hours delivered through online pedagogies, which may include webinars, participant tasks and short videos. Online activities do not have to be undertaken synchronously, but are more usually required to be completed within a specified period of time e.g. activity or task is set weekly (at the beginning of the week) to be completed by the end of that week.
As part of a collaborative annotated bibliography, you will produce four annotations related to a chosen area of academic practice (50%) and justify your set of annotations through a contextual statement (50%).
In this course you will critically engage with SoTL outputs and research literature in HE, while focussing on an area of your academic practice. The peer support design of this course will enable you to collaborate in creating a resource that informs your developing academic practice beyond this course.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course you should be able to:
1. Critically evaluate literature for your chosen area of educational enquiry; and
2. Synthesise a comprehensive understanding of SoTL outputs and educational literature in HE in your area of educational enquiry.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.