Supervising Students EDUC5982
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: Learning Enhancement and Acad Dev Service
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
Through this course you will evaluate and reflect on supervision practices and develop an evidence-based understanding of approaches to supervision. This course explores supervision at undergraduate, taught postgraduate, PhD and professional doctorate levels.
Ten contact hours will be offered. These sessions will be supported by online materials.
The summative assessment is a single submission comprising two components:
1. a written analysis of supervision practice (ILO1 and ILO2); and
2. a short reflective report (ILO2).
This course aims to provide you with an opportunity to evaluate and reflect on supervision practices and develop an evidence-based understanding of approaches to supervision of students. The course will cover supervision at undergraduate, postgraduate taught, PhD, and professional doctoral levels. You will have the opportunity to compare practice against both institutional requirements and recent literature on effective supervision.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course you should be able to:
1. Analyse approaches to supervision relevant to your context; and
2. Critically evaluate research and scholarship focused on supervision and relate this to proposed enhancements in your practice.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.