Engineering and Physical Sciences Photo Competition
Issued: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 15:49:00 BST
The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) have launched their Science Photo Competition for 2018.
All EPSRC-supported researchers and doctoral students are invited to showcase their research through photos, with the chance to win prizes and receive international coverage.
Entries must be submitted by 16:00 on Wednesday 19 December 2018.
Submissions should include a short caption for the image and a jargon-free extended caption (maximum 150 words) putting the research into context.
The caption must be comprehensible to the lay-reader and will be taken into consideration by the judges when making their decision.
Research in action
Images should demonstrate research in action, and could fall into any of the following categories:
- Equipment and Facilities: Images of the equipment, facilities and tools used in your research
- Eureka and Discovery: Images that reflect that Eureka moment or new discoveries and understanding that arise from your research
- Innovation: Images of research that has inspired innovation or is related to commercial breakthroughs
- People and Skills: Images of people working as part of your research team, taking part in or affected by your research
- Weird and Wonderful: Unusual, eye-catching and bizarre images arising from your research
Suggested images include:
- Research equipment
- Research subject
- Research environment (e.g. lab or field work)
- Combination of all or any of the above
The judging panel will be selected from academia, industry and photo journalism.
Prizes are to be confirmed, but previous years' prizes have included equipment to the value of £500. All winning images will be featured in EPSRC's Pioneer Magazine and other EPSRC publications.