Epidemiology, outcomes and therapy of heart failure MED5543
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: School of Cardiovascular and Metabolic
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
This course will provide students with an in-depth, critical knowledge and understanding of the epidemiology, diagnosis, and evidence based therapies for heart failure.
Weekly lectures throughout semester 2.
Requirements of Entry
Main Assessment In: April/May
To provide the students with an in depth critical knowledge and understanding of the current clinical evidence around the area of diagnosis, epidemiology and optimal therapy for treatment of heart failure.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Discuss critically the methods for determining risk factors for development of heart failure
- Critically appraise literature pertaining to evidence for treatment of heart failure with focus on clinical trials
- Critically discuss with reference to the literature diagnostic methods available for assessing the presence and severity of heart failure
- Critically discuss with reference to the literature the interaction of heart failure with other comorbid medical conditions
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.