STEM across the Primary Curriculum DUMF3089
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 3 (SCQF level 9)
- Typically Offered: Semester 1
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
- Available to Erasmus Students: Yes
In this course students will engage with the learning and teaching of STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) across the primary curriculum. They will explore pedagogies and approaches that can be applied in a way that is engaging and motivating to children.
3 hours per week:
1x2-hour workshop / seminar
Requirements of Entry
Progression to Level 3 of the MA Primary Education with Teaching Qualification.
Design and production of teaching artefact (40%)
Microteaching presentation (20%)
Reflective report (40%)
The course aims to provide students with the opportunity to develop and support children's subject knowledge development in STEM subjects by constructing experiences to suit the learning needs of children across the primary phases.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Develop and support children's subject knowledge using an integrated approach to STEM learning across the primary curriculum.
2. Plan and prepare coherent and progressive learning experiences in STEM subjects offering young people authentic learning experiences which will enrich their learning and contribute to their personal development.
3. Reflect critically on their teaching practice taking into account the principles of STEM learning.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components of the course's summative assessment.