Professor Mehdi Boussebaa
- Professor in International Business (Management)
telephone: 0141 330 4579
I am Professor of International Business at the Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow. Prior to joining Glasgow in 2016, I was a faculty member of the University of Bath School of Management and before that a post-doctoral researcher at Saïd Business School, University of Oxford, where I retain a role as an International Research Fellow.
I research and teach in the related areas of globalisation, multinational organisation and transnational governance, with an emphasis on cultural and political issues. My research has been published in leading journals such as the Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of World Business, Organization Studies and Human Relations.
In 2015, I received the Dean’s Award for an Outstanding Contribution to Research at the University of Bath School of Management (and the Dean’s Award for Research Excellence in 2012). One of my recent papers – the first postcolonial analysis to be accepted by the top-ranked Journal of International Business Studies – was a finalist for the US Academy of Management’s all-academy Carolyn Dexter Award for the Best International Paper. I have also been shortlisted twice (2016 and 2017) for the Col. Lyndall F Urwick Memorial Cup awarded by the Worshipful Company of Management Consultants.
I serve on the editorial boards of Organization Studies, Journal of World Business, and Journal of Professions and Organization, and am an Associate Editor of Critical Perspectives on International Business.
I hold a PhD and an MA (with Distinction) from the University of Warwick. Prior to joining academia, I spent 2½ years working for an American telecoms research and consulting firm in London following undergraduate studies at Cass Business School and (as an Erasmus student) Complutense de Madrid, Spain.
Areas of expertise:
- Globalisation in business and in academia;
- Multinational organisation;
- Global professional service firms, their management and their role in transnational governance;
- Identity regulation in internationalising organisations;
- The cultural politics of English as a global language in business and in academia;
- Multinationals and imperialism;
- Postcolonial theory.
- International Research Mobility Award, LabexMed, Aix-Marseille Université, France, 2016
- Research Seed Corn Fund Award, University of Bath School of Management, 2013
- Research Seed Corn Fund Award, University of Bath School of Management, 2011
- Research Mobility Award, Alberta School of Business, Canada, 2009
- Strategic Development Fund Award, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford, 2009
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship, Said Business School, University of Oxford, 2008-2009
- Overseas Institutional Visit Award, ESRC, 2007
I welcome applications from potential doctoral students in the related areas of globalisation, international management and transnational governance. I am particularly, but not exclusively, interested in the following topics:
- The lived experience of globalisation, especially in emerging markets;
- Identity management in global and internationalising organisations;
- Globalisation in the professional services sector;
- Globalisation in business schools and universities more broadly;
- Headquarters-subsidiary relations and knowledge transfer in multinational enterprises;
- The cultural and political implications of English as a global language in international business and academia;
- The ethics of international business;
- The history of international business.
Current PhD students
I am also currently supervising two doctoral students at the University of Bath:
- Ludmila Svystunova - multinationals and institutional complexity in the pharmaceutial sector
- Rachel Johnson - internationalisation in the higher education sector
- International Research Fellow, Said Business School, University of Oxford, since 2009;
- Associate Editor, Critical Perspectives on International Business, Emerald, since January 2016;
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of World Business, since January 2017;
- Editorial Board Member, Organization Studies, Sage Publications, since 2013;
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Professions & Organization, Oxford University Press, since 2013;
- External Examiner, University of Edinburgh Business School, since 2014;
- Shortlisted for the Col. Lyndall F Urwick Memorial Cup, Worshipful Company of Management Consultants, 2017;
- Invited LabexMed Scholar, Aix-Marseille Université Aix-en-Provence, France, May 2016;
- Shortlisted for the Col. Lyndall F Urwick Memorial Cup, Worshipful Company of Management Consultants, 2016;
- Invited Scholar, Indian Institute of Management Indore, India, June 2015;
- Dean’s Award for an Outstanding Contribution to Research, University of Bath School of Management, 2015;
- Invited Visiting Professor, University of Tongji School of Management & Economics, Shanghai, China, September 2014;
- Invited Scholar, University of Lund School of Economics & Management, Sweden, May 2014;
- Finalist for the Carolyn Dexter Award for Best International Paper, US Academy of Management (All-Academy Award), 2014;
- Invited Scholar, Laboratoire d’Economie et de Sociologie du Travail (LEST), Aix-Marseille Université, Aix-en-Provence, May-June 2013;
- Dean’s Award for Research Excellence, University of Bath School of Management, 2012;
- Dean’s Award for Innovation & Enterprise, University of Bath School of Management, 2011;
- Invited Post-Doctoral Researcher, Alberta School of Business, Canada, 2009.