Professor Alan McGregor
- Research Professor of Economic Development (Training and Employment Research Unit)
Director of the Training and Employment Research Unit (TERU) and Professor of Economic Development at University of Glasgow. For a period of over 40 years he has been actively involved in policy, programme and project analysis and evaluation in the broad areas of local economic development, employment and training programmes, and urban regeneration. In the last 5 years alone he has secured contracts from a broad range of local, national and international agencies.
Areas of expertise:
- Economic Development
- Labour Market Analysis
- European Studies
- Policy + Practice Development
There are too many of these to mention, but listed below are some examples:
|EU (European Commission)||Research to Support ESF Expert Evaluation Network||European Commission|
|UK Charity||Evaluation of Community Jobs Scotland||Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations|
|UK Government||Employer Skills Pulse Survey||Skills Development Scotland|
|Research Framework Agreement||Department for Works and Pensions|
|Evaluation of Outer Hebrides Employability Support Programme (Phase 2)||Comhairle nan Eliean Siar|
|Evaluation of Professional Development Award for Supported Employment||Scottish Government Procurement Team|
|Evaluation of Social Enterprise & Third Sector Challenge Fund||Skills Development Scotland|
|Research Support for North Ayrshire Economic Development and Regeneration board||North Ayrshire Council|
|Research for Formative Evaluation of PACE Intervention for Vion Hall's||Skills Development Scotland|
|UK Other||Researching Evidence Base for North East LEP Skills Action Plan||Newcastle City Council|
|Investing in Scottish Social Ventures||National Endowment for Science, Technology & The Arts|
|Associate - Funding Models||UK Commission for Employment and Skills|
Delivery of workshops to MSc in Local Economic Development, principally for Local Economic Development course unit. Extensive CPD delivery including:
- Economic Development for Scottish Enterprise Account Managers.
- Introduction to Economic Development for Scottish Enterprise Apprenticeship Intake.
- Evaluation and Monitoring for Highlands & Islands Enterprise.
- Introduction to Economic Development for Economic Development Association for Scotland (EDAS).
- Refresher Course on Economic Development for Economic Development Association for Scotland (EDAS).
Specialist Advisor to the Work and Pensions Committee of the House of Commons.
- Inquiry into Commissioning of Flexible New Deal in 2008/09
- Inquiry into Youth Unemployment and Future Jobs Fund in 2010/11
Specialist Adviser to Scottish Affairs Committee of the House of Commons on their enquiries into:
- The Implementation of New Deal in Scotland
- Poverty and Social Exclusion in Scotland
- Youth Unemployment and Training
Currently or recently, he has been involved in a broad range of other Boards and advisory capacities as:
- Board member of Skills Development Scotland, 2008-2012
- On appointment of The Scottish Government, member of Scottish Employability Forum
- On appointment of The Scottish Government, Chair of National Delivery Group for Workforce Plus
- Associate of UK Commission for Employment and Skills
- Chair of Economic Development and Regeneration Board for North Ayrshire Council
- Member of Expert Group on Implementation of Scotland’s Regeneration Strategy
- Consultant to the European Commission on Evaluation of European Social Fund across all 27 Member States