How to apply for a research degree
The University of Glasgow has a long-established reputation as a major research-led institution that is recognised internationally for its groundbreaking work. We currently offer a wide range of research opportunities allowing you to undertake in-depth study in a specific area.
Before starting your application, you should review the relevant information for prospective postgraduate research students on the appropriate Graduate School web-pages via the links to the right.
They will be able to provide you with:
- general advice about completing your application
- a subject-based contact with whom to discuss academic aspects of your application
- specific information about any requirements for individual graduate schools
- information about scholarships and funding opportunities.
International students has information about visa, immigrations and the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS): please refer to the individual Graduate School websites to determine if ATAS is required for your programme.
You will need to register your details and create an account in our online system. Additionally, you will need to be able to provide supporting documentation for your application which can be uploaded into the system (preferred) or provided in hard copy:
- Information about your previous study (copies of your degree certificates and transcripts of your undergraduate or previous degrees)
- Two supporting reference letters
- Applicants whose first language (or the language of instruction for their first degree) is not English are required to include evidence of their English language ability
- Any additional specific requirements such as research proposals or samples of written work which may vary by graduate school. For details of these specific requirements please refer to the relevant graduate school website.
If any supporting documentation is being submitted by post or courier, please ensure that you include a covering letter stating your name, the programme you are applying for, your reference number and which documents you are enclosing.
The quickest and easiest way to apply for admission to a postgraduate research degree is to Apply online.