Professor Susan Jamieson
- Professor of Health Professions Education (Medicine)
- Associate Academic (Institute of Cancer Sciences)
- BSc (Hons) in Cell Biology (University of Glasgow, 1983)
- PhD in Experimental Mammary Cancer [Biochemistry] (University of London, 1987)
- PGCert in Teaching, Learning & Assessment in Higher Eduction (University of Glasgow, 2001)
- EdD [Critical thinking in a community of inquiry] (University of Strathclyde, 2014)
- SFHEA (Higher Education Academy, 2015)
Research and academic posts
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Imperial Cancer Research Fund, 1987-1989)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, 1989-1993)
- Lecturer (University of Glasgow,1993-2005)
- Senior University Teacher (University of Glasgow, 2005-2017)
- Professor of Health Professions Education (University of Glasgow, 2017-present)
Major education-related roles
- Director of MRes Molecular Medicine PGT programme, University of Glasgow (2007-2013)
- Director of Year 1 MBChB course, University of Glasgow (2009-2013)
- Director of MSc Translational Medical Sciences PGT programme, University of Glasgow (2013-2014)
- Deputy Head of UG Medical School (Pre-clinical), University of Glasgow (2013-2016)
- Director of Health Professions Education programme, University of Glasgow (2014-present)
- Deputy Head of UG Medical School (Educator Development), University of Glasgow (2016-present)
- Critical thinking
- Community of inquiry
- Problem-based learning
- Basic sciences in medical education
- Threshold concepts
Facilitation of problem-based learning (MBChB)
Lectures on cell biology & cancer biology topics (BSc, iBSc, MBChB)
Design and development of asynchronous online learning materials in health professions education
Facilitation of synchronous online tutorials and asynchronous online discussion forums
Small group tutoring on transferable/critical appraisal skills
Lectures and workshops on topics in health professions education
Workshops on education research skills
Professional Learned Society
- - ongoing: Scottish Deans' Medical Education Group (SDMEG) - Glasgow Medical School representative
- - ongoing: Scottish Medical Schools, PG Deanery & NHS Education Scotland - SDMEG representative on Recognition-of-Trainers Strategy Group (RoTSG)
- - ongoing: Scottish Medical Schools, PG Deanery & NHS Education Scotland - SDMEG representative on RoTSG Quality Management sub-group
- - ongoing: Association for the Study of Medical Education - Chair of Education Research Committee
- Identification and challenge of errors in clinical decision making.
- Specialist surgical training and assessment.
- Relationship between emotional intelligence & academic performance of microbiology students.
- Core competencies for health professions educators.
- Modelling the development of an online learning resource by health professionals.
- Preparedness for practice in medical graduates.
- Quality of life for undergraduate medical students.
- Fiducial responsibility in the doctor-patient relationship.
- Training for uncertainty in veterinary education.
- The continuum of medical education in a general practice (family medicine) context.
- Video-based methods for improving students? self-assessment skills.
I have previously supervised/am currently supervising masters dissertations in the following areas
I have previously supervised/am currently supervising doctoral theses in the following areas