- Chair in Inorganic Materials (Chemistry)
Room C4-05 level C4
School of Chemistry
Joseph Black Building
Glasgow G12 8QQ
The interests in the Duncan Gregory Inorganic Solid State and Materials Chemistry research group lie in the synthesis, structure, and physical properties of inorganic solids. The underlying theme in our approach is to identify and modify materials on the basis of their atomic or ionic arrangements. To achieve this in exotic systems of materials requires use of original and unusual synthetic methodology. We are primarily concerned with investigating non-oxide systems where new structure types and bonding arrangements lead to unexpected and exciting properties. Our aims are to discover new materials with potentially useful physical properties, particularly with projected applications in electronics, information technology, and sustainable energy. The group's current research breaks down into several key areas: Non-oxide materials, hydrogen storage and sustainable energy materials, inorganic nanomaterials and sustainable materials processing.
- D. H. Gregory, (2008) J. Mater. Chem., 18, 2321-2330.
- W. I. F. David, M. O. Jones, D. H. Gregory, C. M. Jewell, S. R. Johnson, A. Walton & P. P. Edwards, (2007) J. Am. Chem. Soc., 129, 1594-1601.
- Y. Zhao, C. W. Dunnill, Y. Zhu, D. H. Gregory, W. Kockenberger, Y. Li, W. Hu, I. Ahmad & D. G. McCartney, (2007) Chem. Mater., 19, 916-921.
- S. R. Vallance, S. Kingman and D. H. Gregory, (2007) Adv. Mater., 19, 138-142.
- Z. Stoeva, B. Jäger, R. Gomez, S. Messaoudi, M. Ben Yahia, X. Rocquefelte, G. B. Hix, W. Wolf, J. J. Titman, R. Gautier, P. Herzig & D. H. Gregory, (2007) J. Am. Chem. Soc., 129, 1912-1920.
PhD (Soton), FIoN, FIMMM, FRSC
Selected Recent Talks
- Novel Nitrides as Sustainable Energy Materials. Plenary Lecture, The 1st International Conference on Advances in Energy Research (ICAER2007), IIT Bombay, Mumbai, India, December 2007.
- Hydrogen Storage in Novel Nitrides. Invited Lecture, The first Oxford-Kobe Energy Seminar, Kobe, Japan, April 2007.
- Hydrogen Storage in Novel Nitrides. Plenary Lecture, International Workshop on Hydrogen Energy: Production, Storage & Application (IWHE – 2006), Jaipur, India, November 2006.
- Novel Nitrides as Sustainable Energy Materials. Invited Lecture, 7th International Conference on Solid State Chemistry (SSC 2006), Pardubice, Czech Republic, September 2006.
- Novel Nitrides as Sustainable Energy Materials. Invited Lecture, 10th European Conference on Solid State Chemistry (ECSSCX), Sheffield, August 2005.
External Appointments & Positions
- RSC Materials Chemistry Forum Executive
- EPSRC Peer Review College
- ISIS Facility Access Panel (Diffraction)
- ISIS User Committee and ISIS Crystallography User Group Vice Chair
- Materials Chemistry (MC)9 Scientific Committee Chair