Dr Patricia De Montfort
- Lecturer in History of Art/Curator in Whistler Studies (History of Art)
Office Hour: Email for appointment
- British and American art c.1850-1920, especially the work of James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903) and his circle
- History of collecting and the art market
- Exhibition culture and international artist/dealer networks
- Gender and artistic practice; issues around identity and public/private space, with special interest in the life and work of Louise Jopling (1843-1933)
- Interdisciplinary approaches to the analysis of 19th century watercolour materials and practice
- Lunder Foundation (Sept 2015; £900) PI; Whistler research
- SCCA Research Committee (Sept 2015; £550) PI; Whistler research
- SCCA Research Committee (May 2015; £355) PI; Jopling publication costs
- NHK (Nippon Hoso Kyokai, Japan Broadcasting Corporation): (Sept 2014; £1800) CI; Whistler exhibition costs
- OPEN - Oil Paintings Expert Network (April 2013-May 2014; £38,898) CI
Katrina Hill. Topic: ‘Complicated Objects: Chinese Imperial Artefacts in Victorian Britain.’
Stacey Clapperton. Topic: ‘The Making of Modern British War Art: Materials and Methods of Artists at the Front 1914-1919.’
Anna Kankaanpää. Topic: ‘Modernity and the Arts and Crafts Movement in Britain: Lighting Design of Charles Robert Ashbee and Charles Rennie Mackintosh’.
- Research project internships
- Dissertation supervision
- Work placement mentoring
I welcome enquiries about potential M.Res or PhD projects in any area relating to my research interests.
- Level 1 History of Art programme (team taught)
- ‘Artists and the Art Market in Britain’ (L3, Junior Honours).
- ‘Women, Art and Audience 1830-1914’ (L3, Junior Honours).
- Portfolio core course (L3, Junior Honours, team taught).
- Methodology core course (L3, Junior Honours, team taught).
- Postgraduate taught courses (History of Collecting and Collections).
- Level 1 Co-convenor
- Manage Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Exams Co-convenor (2008-15)
- Convenor, Mlitt in History of Collecting and Collections (2012-15)
- Visiting Fellow, Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC.
- Member, Editorial Board, Whistler Criticism Digitisation Project, Augustana College, Illinois, USA.
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of the Whistler Society, London (http://www.whistlersociety.org/)
- External Examiner, MA and PG Diploma in History and Business of Collecting, University of Warwick and Sir John Soane Museum, London.
- Academic Adviser (2013-14), Oil Paintings Expert Network, (partnership between Public Catalogue Foundation (http://www.thepcf.org.uk) and University of Glasgow).
Online Research Projects
- de Montfort, P. (2013-) James McNeill Whistler and Watercolour: Making and Meaning [exhibition, book and technical art history project]
- de Montfort, P. (2010-) Louise Jopling (1843-1933) [catalogue and digital archive]
- de Montfort, P. , (2006-9) Exhibition Culture in London 1878-1908 [catalogue]
- de Montfort, P., MacDonald, M.F. & Thorp, N., eds. (2003-10) The Correspondence of James McNeill Whistler [edited correspondence edition]
- de Montfort, P., Writing Whistler: A Digital Edition, (in collaboration with Dr Grischka Petri, University of Bonn with research contributions from Dr Linda Merrill, Emory University, USA and Dr Arabella Teniswood Harvey, University of Tasmania). A critical edition of Whistler’s writings, together with related contextual material (2017-18) to be delivered online.
- de Montfort, P. Louise Jopling: A Biographical and Cultural Study of the Modern Woman Artist in Victorian Britain, Ashgate Publishing: Burlington, VT. ISBN: 978-1-4724-6739-3
Conference papers and talks
- de Montfort, P., ‘Louise Jopling’s Studio Spaces’ (1880s-1914). A Studio of One’s Own: British Women Artists 1750-1950 Sub Group Meeting, Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh (May 2016)
- ‘Louise Jopling: an online catalogue,’ Whistler International Colloquium, University of Glasgow, (Jun 2015).
- ‘Collecting women’s works: Louise Jopling, the Rothschilds and their circle,’ The Collector and his Circle symposium, Institute of Historical Research and Wallace Collection, London (July 2014)
- TV broadcast: Whistler exhibition presentation for NHK TV production, Sunday Art Museum. NHK is the national Japanese public broadcaster. (Oct 2014).
- Plenary lecture to mark opening, James McNeill Whistler: A Retrospective exhibition, National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, Japan (Sept 2014).
- ‘Louise Jopling,’ Overlooked Victorian Artists seminar, British Art Network (Tate Britain) and Manchester City Art Gallery, Manchester (Jan 2014).
- Curator’s talks, film and exhibition tours for exhibitions An American in London: Whistler & the Thames at Dulwich Picture Gallery, London; Addison Gallery, MA, USA and Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC (Oct 2013-Aug 2014).
- ‘James McNeill Whistler and Watercolour: Making and Meaning,’ presentation and workshop session, Palaces of Art: Whistler and the Art Worlds of Aestheticism international symposium, Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC (Oct 2011).
- Curator, Louise Jopling 1843-1933: Artist and Teacher, Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow (14 Mar-Sept 2015).
- Academic consultant and catalogue author, James McNeill Whistler: A Retrospective, National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto (13 Sept -16 Nov 2014) and Yokohama Museum of Art, Yokohama, Japan (6 Dec 2014-1 Mar 2015).
- Co-curator (with M. F. MacDonald), exhibition and catalogue project An American in London: Whistler and the Thames, Dulwich Picture Gallery, London, Addison Gallery, Andover, Mass., and Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC (Oct 2013-Aug 2014).
- Curator, James McNeill Whistler and Watercolour: Making and Meaning, Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow (6 Sept 2013-23 Feb 2014).