- Lecturer in History of Art (History of Art)
Office Hour: Email for appointment
- British and American art c.1850-1920, especially the work of James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903) and his circle
- History of collecting and the art market
- Exhibition culture and international artist/dealer networks
- Gender and artistic practice; issues around identity and public/private space, with special interest in the life and work of Louise Jopling (1843-1933)
- Interdisciplinary approaches to the analysis of 19th century watercolour materials and practice
- Lunder Foundation (Sept 2015; £900) PI; Whistler research
- SCCA Research Committee (Sept 2015; £550) PI; Whistler research
- SCCA Research Committee (May 2015; £355) PI; Jopling publication costs
- NHK (Nippon Hoso Kyokai, Japan Broadcasting Corporation): (Sept 2014; £1800) CI; Whistler exhibition costs
- OPEN - Oil Paintings Expert Network (April 2013-May 2014; £38,898) CI
Katrina Hill. Topic: ‘Complicated Objects: Chinese Imperial Artefacts in Victorian Britain.’
Stacey Clapperton. Topic: ‘The Making of Modern British War Art: Materials and Methods of Artists at the Front 1914-1919.’
Anna Kankaanpää. Topic: ‘Modernity and the Arts and Crafts Movement in Britain: Lighting Design of Charles Robert Ashbee and Charles Rennie Mackintosh’.
- Research project internships
- Dissertation supervision
- Work placement mentoring
I welcome enquiries about potential M.Res or PhD projects in any area relating to my research interests.
- Level 1 History of Art programme (team taught)
- ‘Artists and the Art Market in Britain’ (L3, Junior Honours).
- ‘Women, Art and Audience 1830-1914’ (L3, Junior Honours).
- Portfolio core course (L3, Junior Honours, team taught).
- Methodology core course (L3, Junior Honours, team taught).
- Postgraduate taught courses (History of Collecting and Collections).
- Level 1 Co-convenor
- Manage Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Exams Co-convenor (2008-15)
- Convenor, Mlitt in History of Collecting and Collections (2012-15)
- Visiting Fellow, Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC.
- Member, Editorial Board, Whistler Criticism Digitisation Project, Augustana College, Illinois, USA.
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of the Whistler Society, London (http://www.whistlersociety.org/)
- External Examiner, MA and PG Diploma in History and Business of Collecting, University of Warwick and Sir John Soane Museum, London.
- Academic Adviser (2013-14), Oil Paintings Expert Network, (partnership between Public Catalogue Foundation (http://www.thepcf.org.uk) and University of Glasgow).
- de Montfort, P., James McNeill Whistler and Watercolour: Making and Meaning. A technical and contextual investigation of Whistler’s work in watercolours in collaboration with curatorial and conservator colleagues in the UK and USA. Related resources, including an exhibition archive and film demonstrating Whistler’s watercolour technique, are available to any user of the research website. Outputs centre on exhibition and book projects on Whistler and his watercolour contemporaries (2018-19). Online: www.whistlerwatercolours.gla.ac.uk/.
- de Montfort, P., Louise Jopling (1843-1933) Catalogue raisonne of Jopling’s oeuvre, together with annotated editions of her correspondence and studio notebooks (2017-18). Online: www.louisejopling.arts.gla.ac.uk/.
- de Montfort, P., Writing Whistler: A Digital Edition, (in collaboration with Dr Grischka Petri, University of Bonn with research contributions from Dr Linda Merrill, Emory University, USA and Dr Arabella Teniswood Harvey, University of Tasmania). A critical edition of Whistler’s writings, together with related contextual material (2017-18) to be delivered online.
- de Montfort, P. Louise Jopling: A Biographical and Cultural Study of the Modern Woman Artist in Victorian Britain, Ashgate Publishing: Burlington, VT. ISBN: 978-1-4724-6739-3
- de Montfort, P. (2014) ’Whistler on Exhibition in the 1890s: Reputation and Reward,’ in James McNeill Whistler: Retrospective (exh. cat.), ed., A. Ono, Kyoto and Yokohama, Japan: National Museum of Modern Art and Yokohama Museum of Art, pp. 239-42.
- MacDonald, M.F. and de Montfort, P. (2013) An American in London: Whistler and the Thames. Philip Wilson: London. ISBN 9781781300060
- de Montfort, P. (2013) Louise Jopling: a gendered reading of late 19th-century Britain. In: Woman's Art Journal, vol. 34, Fall/Winter 2013, pp. 29-40.
- de Montfort, P. (2013) Painting river pictures : Whistler’s Chelsea subjects. In: MacDonald, M. and de Montfort, P. (eds.) An American in London: Whistler and the Thames. Philip Wilson: London, pp. 30-49. ISBN 9781781300060
- de Montfort, P. (2012) The Fine Art Society and the rise of the solo exhibition. In: Gould, C. and Mesplede, S. (eds.) Marketing Art in the British Isles, 1700 to the Present: A Cultural History. Ashgate: Farnham, pp. 147-163. ISBN 9781409436690
- de Montfort, P. (2011) Negotiating a reputation: J.M. Whistler, D.G. Rossetti and the art market, 1860-1900. In: Fletcher, P. and Helmreich, A. (eds.) The Rise of the Modern Art Market in London, 1850-1930. Manchester University Press: Manchester, pp. 257-275. ISBN 9780719084607
- de Montfort, P. (2010) ‘Whistler in the Twentieth Century.’ In: Connecting Whistler: Essays in Honour of Margaret F. MacDonald, E. Hermens, J. Meacock & G. Petri (eds), Glasgow University: Glasgow, Scotland, UK, pp. 115-119.
Related digital publications
Conference papers and talks
- ‘Louise Jopling: an online catalogue,’ Whistler International Colloquium, University of Glasgow, (Jun 2015).
- ‘Collecting women’s works: Louise Jopling, the Rothschilds and their circle,’ The Collector and his Circle symposium, Institute of Historical Research and Wallace Collection, London (July 2014)
- TV broadcast: Whistler exhibition presentation for NHK TV production, Sunday Art Museum. NHK is the national Japanese public broadcaster. (Oct 2014).
- Plenary lecture to mark opening, James McNeill Whistler: A Retrospective exhibition, National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, Japan (Sept 2014).
- ‘Louise Jopling,’ Overlooked Victorian Artists seminar, British Art Network (Tate Britain) and Manchester City Art Gallery, Manchester (Jan 2014).
- Curator’s talks, film and exhibition tours for exhibitions An American in London: Whistler & the Thames at Dulwich Picture Gallery, London; Addison Gallery, MA, USA and Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC (Oct 2013-Aug 2014).
- ‘James McNeill Whistler and Watercolour: Making and Meaning,’ presentation and workshop session, Palaces of Art: Whistler and the Art Worlds of Aestheticism international symposium, Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC (Oct 2011).
- Curator, Louise Jopling 1843-1933: Artist and Teacher, Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow (14 Mar-Sept 2015).
- Academic consultant and catalogue author, James McNeill Whistler: A Retrospective, National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto (13 Sept -16 Nov 2014) and Yokohama Museum of Art, Yokohama, Japan (6 Dec 2014-1 Mar 2015).
- Co-curator (with M. F. MacDonald), exhibition and catalogue project An American in London: Whistler and the Thames, Dulwich Picture Gallery, London, Addison Gallery, Andover, Mass., and Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC (Oct 2013-Aug 2014).
- Curator, James McNeill Whistler and Watercolour: Making and Meaning, Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow (6 Sept 2013-23 Feb 2014).