Smartphone and tablet security advice
DO THIS RIGHT NOW!
Set a PIN to protect your device from unauthorised use.
Your smartphone and tablet are likely to contain a lot of confidential information about you, perhaps even your bank details.
Treat your smartphone like your wallet or purse.
Treat your tablet like your laptop.
There are many ways you can increase the security of your smartphone and tablet:
- Set a PIN to protect your device from unauthorised use.
- Set a timeout to lock your device.
DID YOU KNOW?
Devices which use 'Activesync' (iOS, Windows mobile, some Androids) to connect to your University email can be remotely wiped using the appropriate email web interface.
- Be careful which apps you install and what permissions you give them.
- If you use GPS location services, be aware of what information they share.
- Keep in mind the email security rules: these apply whatever device you're using.
- Backup the information on your device.
- Keep a copy of your IMEI number (if applicable) in case of loss or theft.
- At end of its life, dispose of your device securely.