Professor of Environmental Geochemistry
Telephone: 01355 270136
Responsibilities at SUERC
- Head of the SUERC Radiocarbon Dating Laboratory.
- Head of Safety & Security.
- Chairman of the SUERC Safety Committee.
- Applications of 14C in forensic science.
- Application of 14C for estimating the biofuel content in fossil fuel/biofuel mixes.
- Applications of 14C dating in archaeology and archaeological science.
- Application of stable isotopes (δ13C, δ15N and δ34S) in understanding palaeodiet and palaeodietary shifts.
- Radionuclide geochemistry: The behaviour and fate of long-lived anthropogenic radionuclides in the environment (14C, 129I, Pu isotopes, etc).
- Manmade radionuclides as tracers of environmental processes - accumulation, mixing and re-distribution processes in sediments.
- C Bonsall, A Boroneanţ, A Soficaru, K McSweeney, T Higham, N Miriţoiu, C Pickard, G T Cook. (2012). Interrelationship of age and diet in Romania’s oldest human burial. Naturwissenschaften 99, 321–325. doi:10.1007/s00114-012-0897-1
- P L Ascough, M J Church, G T Cook, E Dunbar, H Gestsdóttir, T H McGovern, A J Dugmore, A Friðriksson, K J Edwards. (2012). Radiocarbon reservoir effects in human bone collagen from northern Iceland. Journal of Archaeological Science 39, 2261-2271. doi:10.1016/j.jas.2012.02.012
- G T Cook, T F G Higham, P Naysmith, F Brock, S P H T Freeman, A Bayliss. (2012). Assessment of infinite-age bones from the Upper Thames Valley, UK, as 14C background standards. Radiocarbon 54, 845-853. doi:10.2458/azu_js_rc.v.16161
- M J Church, S V Arge, K J Edwards, P L Ascough, J M Bond, G T Cook, S J Dockrill, A J Dugmore, T H McGovern, C Nesbitt, I A Simpson. (2013). The Vikings were not the first colonizers of the Faroe Islands. Quaternary Science Reviews 77, 228-232. doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2013.06.011
- J Montgomery, J Beaumont, M Jay, K Keefe, A R Gledhill, G T Cook, S J Dockrill, N D Melton. (2013). Strategic and sporadic marine consumption at the onset of the Neolithic: increasing temporal resolution in the isotope evidence. Antiquity 87, 1060-1072. link
- K L Sayle, G T Cook, P L Ascough, H R Hastie, A Einarsson, M T Hicks, T H McGovern, A Edwald, A Friðriksson. (2013). Application of 34S analysis for elucidating terrestrial, marine and freshwater ecosystems: Evidence of animal movement/husbandry practices in an Early Viking community around Lake Mývatn, Iceland. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 120(1), 531-544. doi:10.1016/j.gca.2013.07.008
- G T Cook, A B MacKenzie. (2014). Radioactive isotope analyses of skeletal materials in forensic science: A review of uses and potential uses. International Journal of Legal Medicine 128 (accepted for publication).
Current Research Grants and Contracts
- High precision 14C dating of crannogs. Historic Scotland. 2012-2015.
- Times of Their Lives – The Neolithic of Europe. Collaboration with English Heritage/Cardiff University on their ERC Grant. 2012-2016.
- Bannockburn 1314: Landscape Dynamics in Understanding the Battle. With R Tipping (University of Stirling), D Mauquoy (University of Aberdeen). Leverhulme Trust. 2012-2013.
- Re-dating Danebury Hillfort and Surrounding Settlements - A Bayesian Approach to High Precision Chronology. With C Hazelgrove (PI) (Leicester University), C Gosden(Co-I) (University of Oxford). Leverhulme Trust. 2013-2015.
- Radiocarbon Dating Research in Scottish Archaeology. Historic Scotland. 2013-2016.
- Long-lived Radionuclides in the Surface Environment Mechanistic Studies of Speciation, Environmental Transport and Transfer. With G MacKinnon, S Xu (Co-Is). NERC. 2013-2017.
Click here for a full list of Gordon's Publications as a PDF file.