We are interested in the death café as a cultural phenomenon.
Anthropologist Dr Naomi Richards is leading our research into the emergence of the death café movement, asking:
- what are death cafés?
- can death cafés be defined as a 'cultural' end of life intervention?
- who is operating them, and why?
- what, if any, are their benefits both on the people who attend them and on wider society?
- how are they are changing as the interest increases?
- can we compare death cafés in different countries?
This research is part of our Wellcome Trust funded Global Interventions at the End of Life project.