Metropole Theatre (Stockwell Street), Glasgow
This collection includes contracts, correspondence, posters and programmes.
The Scotia Theatre opened as a music hall on 29 December 1862 and in 1893 H.E. Moss formed a syndicate and bought the theatre. Such was its popularity that Moss decided to to develop his Empire Palace in Sauchiehall Street and when that opened in 1897, the Scotia closed down. It was subsequently renovated and renamed the Metropole. In 1901 the Metropole was managed by Arthur Jefferson. His son, Stanley, auditioned at another
Glasgow theatre, the Panopticon; after some success he eventually changed his name to
Laurel, and became known as Stan Laurel.
The Metropole was an important venue for many Scottish artistes, many of whom began their careers there, such as W. F. Frame and Harry Lauder who made his professional debut in
Glasgow at the Metropole.
The theatre was destroyed by fire 28 October 1961.
How to find material relating to the Metropole Theatre