- Professor of Metabolic Medicine (Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences)
- Associate Academic (Institute of Health and Wellbeing)
• Naveed Sattar graduated in medicine in 1990 from the University of Glasgow and became Professor of Metabolic Medicine in 2005. He was trained in an internationally renowned lipid centre, responsible for WOSCOPS, and developed his first research experience in the lipid area.
• He has since published extensively in CVD biomarker, and diabetes-related research including work on obesity and related complications. As a result of such work, he has accumulated considerable epidemiological and risk factor expertise, spanning several pathways. He has been awarded national and international prizes for his research and research impact, including the 2011 Minkowski prize awarded by the European Association for Study of Diabetes.
• He has also plentiful experience in the CVD-inflammation arena with particular expertise in vascular risk factors in rheumatoid arthritis. He has contributed to important trials, mechanistic studies and relevant guidelines in this field.
• He leads a large biomarker group, mentors several junior colleagues and collaborates widely with groups in the UK and internationally. He is also involved in several clinical trials in areas covering diabetes, obesity, and CVD risk and contributes to clinical care and to guidelines in all of the above areas.
• He has published over 350 papers (H-Factor>50), is an associate editor for Diabetologia and has been invited to speak at numerous international meetings including the ADA, EASD, IDF, Endo Soc, EULAR, ACR, ESC, and AHA.
- Diabetes, Renal, Endocrine & Metabolic Disease