- Professor of Metabolic Medicine (Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences)
- Associate Academic (Institute of Health and Wellbeing)
RC214 Level C2
Institute of C&MS
Glasgow G12 8TA
- Naveed Sattar graduated in medicine in 1990 from the University of Glasgow and became Professor of Metabolic Medicine in 2005. He is clinically active.
- He has published extensively in CVD biomarker, and diabetes-related research including work on obesity and related complications. He has epidemiological and risk factor expertise, spanning several pathways. He also has expertise in the CVD-inflammation and has contributed to important trials, mechanistic studies and relevant guidelines in this field.
- He leads a large biomarker group, mentors several junior colleagues and collaborates widely with groups in the UK and internationally. He is also involved in several clinical trials in areas covering diabetes, obesity, and CVD risk and contributes to national and international guidelines in the above areas.
- He has published over 500 papers (H-Index 70 Web of Science, 88 on Google Scholar), is on advisory board for Diabetologia and The Lancet, Diabetes and Endocrinology, and on the International Advisory Board for UK Biobank.
- He has been awarded national and international prizes including the 2011 Minkowski prize awarded by the European Association for Study of Diabetes and is amongst the world most cited academics in clinical medicine as reported in Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher 2014 report.