Core Course: Social Theory And Social History HIST5004
- Academic Session: 2014-15
- School: School of Humanities
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Runs Throughout Semesters 1 and 2
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
This course introduces students to the key theoretical issues that they are likely to confront in the arena of social history. The important figures in the modern discipline - for example, Marx, Weber, Gramsci, Scott, Foucault, Barthes - together with the theoretical issues they have generated will be read, discussed and assessed. The objective is to allow students to bring an improved awareness of these theoretical foundations of modern social history to their research and studies.
Requirements of Entry
Standard entry to Masters at College level.
2 essays of 2,500 words each.
Main Assessment In: April/May