(in Partnership with Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT))
(in Partnership with Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT))
The Mechatronics Honours degree programme equips students with knowledge, understanding and skills for synergistic integration of mechanical engineering with electronics and intelligent computer control in the design and manufacturing of greener industrial products and processes.
This interdisciplinary programme allows students to combine traditionally divided disciplines with an industry focus for varied career opportunities, especially to meet the increasing demand in greener products and processes and in sustainable manufacturing in Asia.
Mechatronics engineers excel in their work on hybrid systems in varied fields of research and development such as environmentally friendly transportation systems, production systems, synergy drives, planetary exploration rovers, automotive subsystems such as anti-lock braking systems and spin-assist, and everyday equipment such as auto-focus cameras and hard disks.
Introducing the School of Engineering
• The University established a Regius Chair of Civil Engineering and Mechanics in 1840, making Glasgow the oldest university school of engineering in the UK. We have been delivering a world-class engineering education for more than 160 years, building and sustaining an excellent international reputation.
• Each year our 2,500 undergraduate and postgraduate students are taught by staff renowned for their leading-edge research, whose skill lies not only in their expertise in their subject, but in being able to convey this knowledge to their students.
• We have an annual research income of £23m and our facilities include the state-of-the-art James Watt Nanofabrication Centre, one of Europe’s premier research clean rooms, a £4.2m Electronics Design Centre, a Centre for Rehabilitation Engineering for spinal injuries, and wind tunnel facilities to test aerofoils, cars and bridges. World leading research in Civil Engineering includes computational structural modelling.
• Our research environment is enriched through extensive collaboration with other leading universities and research institutes worldwide on a range of projects that address the technological needs of society.
• The education we provide is informed and supported by our links with industry and industrially relevant research. In Singapore, the UofG-SIT programmes seek to provide students with various dimensions of exposure to local industry in order to enhance their employability upon graduation, including the engagement of industry partners in UGS Industry Day and the Industrial Liaison Committee, as well as industry talks, visits and networking events.
• All of our existing MEng and BEng degrees are accredited by their respective professional bodies.
Introducing Singapore Institute of Technology
Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) is Singapore’s autonomous university of applied learning. It aims to be a leader in innovative university education by integrating learning, industry and community.
SIT offers applied degree programmes targeted at growth sectors of the economy. The university’s own applied degree programmes offer a unique pedagogy that integrate work and study. SIT also offers specialised degree programmes in partnership with world-class universities.
To find out more about SIT, visit: singaporetech.edu.sg
You will study almost the same programme in Singapore as students on campus in Glasgow in the final two years of their BEng (Hons) degrees. A few small changes have been made to adapt the programme for polytechnic graduates. For example, we have added a revision course (Applicable Mathematics 2N) to prepare you for the advanced analysis in some of the modules. SIT will also conduct two bridging courses for Mathematics and Physics (20 hours in total) at no cost to the student before the commencement of the programme.
An exciting feature of the programme is a visit to Glasgow during the vacation between the two years, when you will carry out a design project in Mechatronics Team Project 3G and you will be introduced to Scottish culture.
In your first year you will study
- Applicable Mathematics 2N
- Electronic System Design 3N
- Engineering Design 3N
- Mathematical Modelling and Simulation 3N
- Mechanics of Materials and Structures 3N
- Real-time Computer Systems 3N
- Dynamics and Control 3N
- Instrumentation and Data Systems 3N
- Power Electronics 2N
- Software Engineering 3N.
During the vacation between years 1 and 2 you will study a Mechatronics Team Project 3G in Glasgow.
In your second year you will study
- Professional Practice 5N
- Electronic System Design 4N
- Control 4N
- Autonomous Vehicle Guidance Systems 4N
- Robotics 4N
- Project 4N.
Accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer and partly meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
- Undergraduate programmes in Science and Engineering (in partnership with SIT) [pdf]
- Module Description Leaflet [pdf]
How to apply
This degree programme is delivered in collaboration with the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) on the campus of Ngee Ann Polytechnic in Singapore. It is primarily intended for students who have graduated with good grades in an appropriate diploma from one of the Polytechnics in Singapore. The programme offers you a route to upgrade your qualification to an Honours degree from the University of Glasgow with a further two years of study, mostly in Singapore.
Applications to this programme are processed by the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). Please visit the SIT web site for admissions requirements or to apply online:
- For programme-related enquiries please contact the University of Glasgow Singapore teaching office at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, email: Singapore-eng-NP@glasgow.ac.uk or telephone +65 6908 6200
- For admission enquiries please contact Singapore Institute of Technology: email:Adm@SingaporeTech.edu.sg (for local students), Adm.Intl@SingaporeTech.edu.sg (for international students) or telephone +65 6592 1136
- For enquiries about financial aid, scholarships and pre-matriculated students: email: FAS@SingaporeTech.edu.sg or telephone +65 6592 1150.