(in Partnership with Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT))
The Mechatronics Honours degree programme equips students with knowledge, understanding and skills for synergistic integration of mechanical engineering with electronics and intelligent computer control in the design and manufacturing of greener industrial products and processes.
This interdisciplinary programme allows students to combine traditionally divided disciplines with an industry focus for varied career opportunities, especially to meet the increasing demand in greener products and processes and in sustainable manufacturing in Asia.
Mechatronics engineers excel in their work on hybrid systems in varied fields of research and development such as environmentally friendly transportation systems, production systems, synergy drives, planetary exploration rovers, automotive subsystems such as anti-lock braking systems, smart homes and buildings, and intelligent aids for the elderly and disabled.
Introducing the School of Engineering
- The University established a Regius Chair of Civil Engineering and Mechanics in 1840, making Glasgow the oldest university school of engineering in the UK. We have been delivering a world-class engineering education for more than 160 years, building and sustaining an excellent international reputation.
- Each year our 2,500 undergraduate and postgraduate students are taught by staff renowned for their leading-edge research.
- In the UK’s 2014 independent research exercise (REF), we were placed within the top 5 in the UK for our “internationally excellent” and “world-leading” research.
- We have access to excellent facilities and collaborate with other leading universities and research institutes worldwide on a range of projects that address the technological needs of society.
- The education we provide is informed and supported by our links with industry and industrially relevant research. In Singapore, the UofG-SIT programmes seek to provide students with various dimensions of exposure to local industry in order to enhance their employability upon graduation.
- All of our existing MEng and BEng degrees are accredited by their respective professional bodies.
Introducing Singapore Institute of Technology
Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) is Singapore’s university of applied learning. It aims to be a leader in innovative university education by integrating learning, industry and community. SIT offers applied degree programmes targeted at growth sectors of the economy.
As Singapore’s university of applied learning, SIT offers its own applied degree programmes with a unique pedagogy that integrates work and study. It also offers specialised degree programmes in partnership with world-class universities.
To find out more about SIT, visit: singaporetech.edu.sg
You will study almost the same programme in Singapore as students on campus in Glasgow in the final two years of their BEng (Hons) degrees. A few small changes have been made to adapt the programme for polytechnic graduates. For example, we have added a revision course (Applicable Mathematics 2N) to prepare you for the advanced analysis in some of the modules. SIT will also conduct two bridging courses for Mathematics and Physics (20 hours in total) at no cost to the student before the commencement of the programme.
An exciting feature of the programme is a visit to Glasgow during the vacation between the two years, when you will carry out a design project in Mechatronics Team Project 3G and you will be introduced to Scottish culture.
In your first year you will study
- Applicable Mathematics 2N
- Electronic System Design 3N
- Engineering Design 3N
- Mathematical Modelling and Simulation 3N
- Mechanics of Materials and Structures 3N
- Real-time Computer Systems 3N
- Dynamics 3N
- Control 3N
- Instrumentation and Data Systems 3N
- Power Electronics 2N
- Software Engineering 3N
During the vacation between years 1 and 2 you will study a Mechatronics Team Project 3G in Glasgow.
In your second year you will study
- Professional Practice 5N
- Electronic System Design 4N
- Control 4N
- Autonomous Vehicle Guidance Systems 4N
- Robotics 4N
- Project 4N.
Accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer and partly meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
How to apply
This degree programme is delivered in collaboration with the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) on the campus of Ngee Ann Polytechnic in Singapore. It is primarily intended for students who have graduated with good grades in an appropriate diploma from one of the Polytechnics in Singapore. The programme offers you a route to upgrade your qualification to an Honours degree from the University of Glasgow with a further two years of study, mostly in Singapore.
Applications to this programme are processed by the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). Please visit the SIT web site for admissions requirements or to apply online:
- For programme-related enquiries please contact the University of Glasgow Singapore teaching office at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, email: Singapore-eng-NP@glasgow.ac.uk or telephone +65 6908 6200
- For admission enquiries please contact Singapore Institute of Technology: email:Adm@SingaporeTech.edu.sg (for local students), Adm.Intl@SingaporeTech.edu.sg (for international students) or telephone +65 6592 1136
- For enquiries about financial aid, scholarships and pre-matriculated students: email: FAS@SingaporeTech.edu.sg or telephone +65 6592 1150.