(in Partnership with Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT))
(in Partnership with Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT))
The study of aerospace systems requires a fusion of concepts from aeronautical, electrical and systems engineering. Virtually all modern aircraft, from airliners to micro unmanned systems, rely on complex and comprehensive onboard systems. You will learn how these systems are designed, implemented and operated, and how they can lead to improvements in the operation, performance and safety of aerospace vehicles. Individual project work will give you an excellent opportunity to apply all of the knowledge, skills and understanding gained throughout your studies. This degree programme will help you to embark on a career in the aerospace and related industries.
Introducing the School of Engineering
• The University established a Regius Chair of Civil Engineering and Mechanics in 1840, making Glasgow the oldest university school of engineering in the UK. We have been delivering a world-class engineering education for more than 160 years, building and sustaining an excellent international reputation.
• Each year our 2,500 undergraduate and postgraduate students are taught by staff renowned for their leading-edge research, whose skill lies not only in their expertise in their subject, but in being able to convey this knowledge to their students.
• We have an annual research income of £23m and our facilities include the state-of-the-art James Watt Nanofabrication Centre, one of Europe’s premier research clean rooms, a £4.2m Electronics Design Centre, a Centre for Rehabilitation Engineering for spinal injuries, and wind tunnel facilities to test aerofoils, cars and bridges. World leading research in Civil Engineering includes computational structural modelling.
• Our research environment is enriched through extensive collaboration with other leading universities and research institutes worldwide on a range of projects that address the technological needs of society.
• The education we provide is informed and supported by our links with industry and industrially relevant research. In Singapore, the UofG-SIT programmes seek to provide students with various dimensions of exposure to local industry in order to enhance their employability upon graduation, including the engagement of industry partners in UGS Industry Day and the Industrial Liaison Committee, as well as industry talks, visits and networking events.
• All of our existing MEng and BEng degrees are accredited by their respective professional bodies.
Introducing Singapore Institute of Technology
Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) is Singapore’s autonomous university of applied learning. It aims to be a leader in innovative university education by integrating learning, industry and community.
SIT offers applied degree programmes targeted at growth sectors of the economy. The university’s own applied degree programmes offer a unique pedagogy that integrate work and study. SIT also offers specialised degree programmes in partnership with world-class universities.
To find out more about SIT, visit: singaporetech.edu.sg
You will study almost the same programme in Singapore as students on campus in Glasgow in the final two years of their BEng (Hons) degrees. A few small changes have been made to adapt the programme for polytechnic graduates. For example, we have added two courses on mathematics to prepare you for the advanced analysis in some of the modules.
An exciting feature of the programme is a visit to Glasgow during the vacation between the two years, when you will carry out a team project to develop guidance and control algorithms for rotorcraft vehicles. You will also be introduced to Scottish culture.
Before the start of the academic session you will study the pre-sessional course, Applicable Mathematics 2S.
In your first year you will study
- Applicable Mathematics 3S
- Aircraft Performance 3S
- Numerical Methods in Aerospace Engineering 3S
- Propulsion and Turbomachinery 3S
- Real-time Computer Systems 3S
- Communication Systems 3S
- Dynamics and Control 3S
- Instrumentation and Data Systems 3S
- Flight Mechanics 3S
- Software Engineering 3S
- Electromagnetic Compatibility 3S.
During the vacation between years 1 and 2 you will study Aerospace Systems Team Design 3G in Glasgow.
In your second year you will study
• Flight Dynamics 4S
• Professional Practice 5S
• Aerospace Systems Design Project 4S
• Control 4S
• Navigation Systems 4S
• Radar and Electro-optic Systems 4S
• Final Year Project 4S.
Accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer and partly meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
- Undergraduate programmes in Science and Engineering (in partnership with SIT) [pdf]
- Module Description Leaflet [pdf]
How to apply
This degree programme is delivered in collaboration with the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) on the campus of Singapore Polytechnic in Singapore. It is primarily intended for students who have graduated with good grades in an appropriate diploma from one of the Polytechnics in Singapore. The programme offers you a route to upgrade your qualification to an Honours degree from the University of Glasgow with a further two years of study, mostly in Singapore.
Applications to this programme are processed by the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). Please visit the SIT web site for admissions requirements or to apply online:
- For programme-related enquiries, please contact the University of Glasgow Singapore teaching office at Singapore Polytechnic: email: Singapore-eng-SP@glasgow.ac.uk or telephone +65 6908 6032.
- For admission enquiries please contact Singapore Institute of Technology: email:Adm@SingaporeTech.edu.sg (for local students), Adm.Intl@SingaporeTech.edu.sg (for international students) or telephone +65 6592 1136.
- For enquiries about financial aid, scholarships and pre-matriculated students: email: FAS@SingaporeTech.edu.sg or telephone +65 6592 1150