Each year pupils attend our Summer School to benefit from an adjusted offer of entry and to help prepare for university life.
If you are an S5 or S6 applicant living in a priority postcode area, an applicant to Glasgow with a HNC or HND qualification, are an applicant that is care experienced, estranged or living without family support, a carer or have asylum seeker status or are a refugee then you are eligible to apply for a place on the four week programme.
Summer School takes place on our campus in the west end of Glasgow. Students study two academic subjects of your choice, plus a compulsory online academic skills course. Classes run from Monday – Friday and although timetables vary depending on subjects chosen, you can expect to have around 20 hours of contact time each week. You can also use the student unions, sports facilities, library and some student support services.
Summer School will prepare you for making the transition to university study and our research indicates that you should perform to a higher standard in your first year and be more likely to complete your degree at Glasgow than comparable students who don't do it. Other Scottish universities may also value your success in Summer School.
The dates for Summer School 2020 are 15 June – 10 July
Applications are now open. Please have the Registration Guidance Notes available as you go through the steps.
If you have any questions, please contact Denise on 0141 330 5584 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Who is Summer School for?
- Applicants to the University whose home postcode is classified as being priority (SIMD area 1 or 2)
- College leavers who are applying to the University for September entry
If you are in one of these categories and applying to general subjects it is likely that the University will make you a conditional offer dependent upon completion of Summer School.
For school leavers, this offer is adjusted from the standard entry requirements with the condition that you attend and pass the Summer School. If you are unable to attend the Summer School your offer can be changed to the standard conditional offer.
Do you have Summer School as a condition of your offer?
- We will offer you free accommodation in student halls for the duration of Summer School if you are too far away to travel
- If you are travelling from home to the university, we may provide you with a complementary travel pass
- We strongly recommend that you do not book a holiday over the dates of Summer School as there is a minimum attendance requirement. All students will be required to achieve a minimum of 75% attendance in all classes.
Why should I do Summer School?
In addition to the benefits already mentioned, Summer School will:
- Improve your Study Skills
- Familiarise you with campus
- Help you meet classmates before Freshers' Week
- Introduce you to the library, your School and staff
- Prepare you for lectures and seminars
- Familiarise you with IT systems and the Virtual Learning Environment
- Develop your academic writing
- Improve your presentation skills
What can I study?
In addition to a compulsory study skills course, you chose two of the following subjects:
- Business and Management
- Computing Science
- English Literature
- Film and TV Studies
- Geography and Earth Science