Each year pupils complete our Summer School to benefit from an adjusted offer of entry and to help prepare for university life.
Summer School forms an integral part of some applicants' conditional offer of entry to the university. This can apply to you if you are a school applicant living in a priority postcode area, an applicant to Glasgow with a HNC or HND qualification, are an applicant that is care experienced, estranged or living without family support, a carer or have asylum seeker status or are a refugee. You may also be given a conditional offer of entry to the university including the Summer School if you are not living in a priority postcode area but have not met the standard SQA entry requirements. If the Summer School is included in your offer of entry then it is important that you complete the programme. All students will complete an online academic skills module. Students may also study two academic subjects and this is determined by the offer that you hold.
Summer School will prepare you for making the transition to university study and our research indicates that you should perform to a higher standard in your first year and be more likely to complete your degree at Glasgow than comparable students who don't do it. This is especially valuable this year as you prepare for your undergraduate studies.
The dates for Summer School 2021 will be announced in September but will be mid-June until mid–July. Induction sessions will be held at the beginning of June.
Registration for Summer School 2021 will open here in December.
We are currently working remotely and therefore, if you have any questions, please contact Denise by email at email@example.com .
Who is Summer School for?
- Applicants to the University whose offer includes the completion of the Summer School
For school leavers, this offer is adjusted from the standard entry requirements with the condition that you attend and pass the Summer School. For college students, this is to support your transition to your undergraduate studies.
Do you have Summer School as a condition of your offer?
- You will be required to complete the programme in order to meet the conditions of your offer of entry to the university
- All students will need to meet the deadlines set by the academic skills module and by your academic subject tutors
Why should I do Summer School?
In addition to the benefits already mentioned, Summer School will:
- Improve your Study Skills
- Give you an insight into the campus
- Help you meet classmates before Freshers' Week
- Introduce you to the library, your School and staff
- Prepare you for lectures and seminars
- Familiarise you with IT systems and the Virtual Learning Environment
- Develop your academic writing
- Improve your presentation skills
What can I study?
In addition to the academic skills course, you may study two subjects. These may include:
- Business and Management
- Computing Science
- English Literature
- Film and TV Studies
- Geography and Earth Science
How do I register?
Application for Summer School is via our online application form. Please ensure you have the Registration Guidance Notes open as you complete this. If you have any questions, please contact Denise on firstname.lastname@example.org