Erasmus+ study exchange - how to apply
Applications for 2021-22 are now closed
To help you with your application, please follow the guidance below.
Step 1: Can I study at the University of Glasgow?
Does your University have an agreement with Glasgow?
- Check our mobility partners to see if we have an Erasmus+ Agreement with your University in your subject of study.
- We can only accept Erasmus students from partner institutions we have Erasmus+ Agreements with.
If we do not have an Erasmus+ Agreement with your home university, Study Abroad may be an option for you. Please note that we do not have a free mover option.
Medicine, Veterinary and Nursing Students: Our School of Medicine does not participate in the Erasmus+ and we cannot therefore accept Medical, Veterinary, Dentistry or Nursing Students through our office for either study or placements. If you are interested in undertaking an elective please see visiting electives.
Check that the University of Glasgow's academic calendar aligns with your home university's calendar.
- Semester 1: September – December
- Semester 2: January - May.
Applicants whose exam dates overlap with Glasgow's semester dates will need to speak to their home university about arranging alternate assessment. Late arrival is not permitted, and the University of Glasgow is not able to invigilate exams for incoming Erasmus students.
Step 2: What type of study?
- There are course restrictions for Erasmus+ students at Glasgow. Read our Erasmus+ Course Selection Guide for incoming Erasmus students and visit our online course catalogue.
- The guide should allow you to confirm that Glasgow is an appropriate partner for your Erasmus exchange before you submit your application to us.
- All Erasmus+ students must take the majority of their classes (2/3) with the Glasgow subject that holds their agreement.
- A minority (1/3) of courses may be requested from other subjects, however, this will be subject to agreement restrictions, course availability and a suitable academic background.
Please note that project/thesis/dissertation work is to be confirmed for 2021-22
Step 3: Nomination from your home University
In order to proceed with your Erasmus application to Glasgow, you must now be selected and nominated by your home university. Speak to your home university coordinator about the selection processes and deadlines.
The University of Glasgow will not accept students without advance nomination during our standard nomination period. See: application deadlines and semester dates
Nominations must be sent by the partner university through our online nomination form. The link to this form will be sent directly to our partners.
Upon receipt of your nomination, the Visiting Students team will then email you with our application instructions and guidelines.
Step 4: How do I apply?
Applications for 2021-22 are now closed
You must apply entirely through our online system. We do not accept applications or supporting documents sent to us by post or email.
Guidance and support documents
Please refer to the documents below before submitting your application:
- Erasmus Application Guidance Notes
- Erasmus+ Course Selection Guide
- School of Engineering Course Selection Guide
You are not accepted until you are emailed a Confirmation of Acceptance ('offer letter') from Glasgow. When you receive your offer letter email, please read it carefully as it provides information on accommodation options, academic term dates, and the course choice review process.
Documents required for your application
- Learning Agreement with proposed course selection
Classes listed on the Learning Agreement, which do not match the classes you list on your application, will not be considered or approved in advance
- Official Transcript of Grades with an English Translation
- Evidence of Language Proficiency
Please check our Erasmus+ Language Requirements for more information on this
- Valid and current passport photo page scan in colour
All applicants must submit the required Supporting Documents for their application to be processed.
Once you have completed an application, you can then access Applicant Self-Service to check the status of your application. Instructions will be provided in the application acknowledgement email.
If you have difficulties with the Application form, see Application troubleshooting / FAQs.